It Is What It Is

Knitting, Bulldogs, Friends, Family, Cats and Life

Monday, October 08, 2007

The gig is up…

I told my dad last night that Alex was in the process of moving in and that by the end of the year he was giving up his apartment. At first he told me to be careful with my decisions but later in the conversation he told me that I went from an absolute zero to a perfect 10 in partner choices.

I then told him that we’re planning on getting married next year (no free milk here, he has to buy the cow).

The conversation then went like this:

Amy: We’re thinking about getting married at Hotel Fort Des Moines like you and mom did. I thought it would have been really cool if next year had been your 50th wedding anniversary but it will only be your 48th.

Dad: Don’t get married there – it was old 47 years ago when I got married there. How many people will you invite?

Amy: My short list has 75 and I’m guessing Alex will match that plus whomever you and mom want to invite. We were thinking maybe the backyard as an option or the Botanical Center. One other option is getting married on a cruise, what do you think?

Dad: You want all your friends and family on your honeymoon? I wouldn’t suggest it. Can I offer up an option?

Amy: Sure.

Dad: How about the Half Moon Bay Ritz Carlton Hotel, outside on their lawn?

Amy: Where’s that? What’s that?

Dad: One of the nicest hotels in the country between San Francisco and San Jose. It’s on the ocean and just beautiful.

He then went on to tell me that one of the best days (and emotional) of his life outside of us kids being born, was the day he saw my sister get fitted for her wedding dress.

Alex and I finally caught up last night at midnight and discussed the parental conversation. We both agreed that although the offer of the Ritz Carlton sounds amazing but we know that if we go down that path it would be primarily family attending as not all of our friends would attend if we did an out of town wedding and it’s important to both of us that our friends attend. At various times of our lives our friends have been our family and our moral support.

Two shocking points out of the conversation with my dad: 1) He called Alex a 10 and 2) He’s supporting my decisions and not questioning them. I have the best dad in the whole world.

I missed Alex so much this weekend – I was in Houston and he was in Bloomington. We both had ok weekends but really missed one another. I can’t wait to get home Thursday night to see him. We both have hectic weeks and will take this weekend to relax it off. This is our longest stretch apart and it sucks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

I would hope the Fort has upgraded in the past forty years.

What about the Temple for the Performing Arts?

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home