It Is What It Is

Knitting, Bulldogs, Friends, Family, Cats and Life

Monday, September 17, 2007

My conversation with the judgmental woman next to me on my flight to Atlanta tonight:

To set the stage properly, I was in my casual gear, which consists of a black t-shirt, jeans and Birkenstocks. The bottom edge of the tattoo on my upper arm just peaked out.

Judgmental woman: Why are you going to Atlanta?
Me: Management meetings for my company.

Judgmental woman: What do you do for a living?
Me: I’m a Director in a consulting firm.

Judgmental woman: That can’t be possible.
Me: Excuse me?

Judgmental woman: I must have heard you wrong, what do you do for a living?
Me: I’m a Director in a consulting firm (I didn’t stutter the first time).

Judgmental woman: How can YOU be a Director?
Me: What?!?

Judgmental woman: How can you be a Director?
Me: I have a business card to prove it but I don’t care for you to have my name, phone number or email address.

Judgmental woman: You can’t be a Director.
Me: I’m a Director. You shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover.

Judgmental woman: You have tattoos.
Me: I also have piercings, what’s your point?

Judgmental woman: You are too young.
Me: I am not.

I then pieced a few things together…

Me: What do you do for a living?
Judgmental woman: I’m a manager in a consulting firm.

Me: Maybe if you were more open minded and less judgmental, you would progress in your career.
Judgmental woman: You are just a punk brat.

Me: Maybe, but at least I’m a Director. An open minded, non-judgmental Director.

I never ever play the title card but this judgmental woman drove me batty. If she only knew how many people really do have tattoos and that typically they are the nicest people you’ll ever have the pleasure of knowing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

Better bust out that business suit for the next time you are crammed into the airborne sardine can. Wouldn't do to look like you were comfortable or anything.

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home