It Is What It Is

Knitting, Bulldogs, Friends, Family, Cats and Life

Saturday, March 10, 2007

What is a leader?

Last night at Borders the knitwits met but my attention was distracted by an pseudo-elitist group of individuals who sat and discussed music, world events and then components that they thought make a good leader.

I was already in a grouchy mood from a rough week and was trying to enjoy just a few hours with my friends who I have seen sporadically over the last few weeks. I could have ignored this elitist group but their discussion 1) was annoying and 2) snobby/elitist like I haven't ever heard before.

They spoke about mensa, ivy league educations and different sports idols / public figures. They discussed leadership books to read about becoming good leaders.

I know why I was annoyed and it's simple - what makes a good leader is not dependent on where you attend school, how high your IQ may be or how many leadership books you read. A leader exudes dedication to a team, strong communication skills and the respect of those they are leading.

I was annoyed because I see myself as a leader within my organization. I'm not a leader because of my college degrees, my IQ nor the number of leadership books I have read (which number 0).
I'm a leader because I earn the respect of my team as I would never ask something of them I wouldn't do myself.

I'm a leader because I work the long hours and go the extra mile behind the scenes and never talk about it. My team has no concept of how many hours I actually do work or to the extent I go to bat for them for promotions, raises and bonuses.

I don't need an Ivy League education to know how to work with people. I don't need a proven high IQ to have people respect me. Most importantly, I don't have time nor the desire to read any books on leadership.

Leaders are born not made. I'm a leader because I don't have to tell people I'm a leader. I just have to talk about it on my blog...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home