It Is What It Is

Knitting, Bulldogs, Friends, Family, Cats and Life

Sunday, February 25, 2007

What Storm?

Starting early last week, Storm Trooper Beecher (a.k.a my mom) left me voicemails regarding a huge snow/ice/sleet/hail storm that was to hit Iowa over the weekend.

By the time my flight landed late Friday night/early Saturday morning it was only raining. So I said, What storm? This is only rain, no big deal.

Saturday morning I get up early to run a succession of errands (do my taxes, chiropractor, bank, see my parents etc) and it's still only raining. My mom doesn't believe I know how to grocery shop outside of Quick Trip and hands me a sack containing fresh fruit and canned soups.

I go home and it's only raining - nothing earth shattering. I fall asleep on the couch and my good friend and fellow knitster Margie calls me to tell me details of the Birthday dinner for Kim. I ask her half asleep, how is the weather? She says no worries, it's raining and it did snow a bit but nothing to keep us from gathering together.

I head out for a great dinner and the weather is a bit mucky but nothing horrific. There's a mixture of rain and snow.

After dinner we decide to go to Borders and knit for a while. Borders is closed due to weather. What weather? It's raining and a little bit of snow. We decide to go to Barnes and Noble - we walk in the door and they tell us they are closing in 5 minutes. I asked why and was rudely given the answer that every mall in town is closed as is Borders for the pending bad weather. The knitsters cave and call it a night.

But again, What Storm? It's been raining all day and it was just starting to snow - nothing any Iowan couldn't handle yet everyone was acting like the storm of the century was about to hit.

I call my parents since I'm already out and about and tell them I'm dropping over for a few minutes. I get lectured by Storm Trooper Beecher for 1) being out in such a bad storm and 2) not being home where it's safe (same topic yet two distinctive lectures).

I watch RV with my parents and when it starts getting late I decide it's time to head home. My mom turns on the outside lights and my car is buried in snow. I was commanded to stay put, given sweat pants by my dad and directed to my old bedroom to sleep.

United Airlines woke me up early this morning with their automated service telling me my flight was cancelled but could not reschedule my travels. Three hours later I finally got through to United's reservations desk and they told me the earliest I could travel was Tuesday morning.

It is what it is. I'll happily work from home until then. The storm finally hit and it hit big.

Pictures from the parent's house:

Notice the large section of tree that is broken and could have easily fallen into the house instead of into the yard:









I also finished one boot sock of the pair for my dad's birthday last night but like Cheryl tells me, having one sock done is like having one sleeve done, it doesn't count. I'll post pictures when the pair is complete - fun, quick project.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

Dude, you don't leave until Tuesday? Let's reschedule our Saturday knitting for Monday.

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home