It Is What It Is

Knitting, Bulldogs, Friends, Family, Cats and Life

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Fireable Cause

Another day, another dollar. Just as I thought everything was getting better I'm blindsided with what I find an amazing term - fireable cause.

Quite bluntly, I was told that there are new rules of engagement and that if I use three specific terms with the client it's fireable cause. Those that know me know how much I adore being threatened.

I responded with - is this in an HR policy I'm not familiar with?

No. It's coming from top management I was told.

I explained the next day's meeting to this individual and the criticality of some of the meetings. My 8am meeting would easily be kicked off by defining the three "fireable cause" terms.

Again it was reiterated how if I used the terms it could and would cost me my job.

Call me arrogant, call me cocky, call me burned but don't ever call me dishonest. There's not a chance in hell I'm not approaching a meeting any differently than I do today.

The irony is that this was told to me in front of not one but two of my direct bosses. I have back up to say the least.

I'm the glue of this project. I am THE critical component, the single point of failure and the single point of success.

It's almost a challenge at this point. I appreciate the threat - I am now clear on the organization I work for and how upper management values strong, hard working resources.

I hope that I am fired. If it weren't for my diligence of seeing this project through completion I wouldn't have bothered to return from vacation. I don't work 100 hours a week by sheer enjoyment.

Tomorrow should be interesting.

If it's not one issue it's another lately...

1 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

Wait, I'm confused - who came up with the fireable causes? The client, or your company?

If you are still employed the next time I see you, bring that list. With all of the creativity at the table, you KNOW we can come up with some slick ways to say those things without really saying them.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home