It Is What It Is

Knitting, Bulldogs, Friends, Family, Cats and Life

Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Rowan Big Wool Sweater Mystery


I spent three years (don't ask) making my dad a cardigan sweater out Rowan Big Wool. I finally completed the sweater in January to find out it didn't fit my dad very well.

Since January the sweater has lived in my minivan in the "need to fix" sweater pile (on top of the rowan calmer sister sweater).


Cleaning out my car today I tried on the cardigan for the first time to see how I would fix it. I fell instantly in love. I look like a barn in the sweater but I love it. Love the way it fits, the way it feels and the way it looks. I wore it today in the almost 80 degree weather just to be able to wear it once before putting it away until next fall.


So here's the mystery - on my dad the sweater looked misfitting - too long in the button band, too short in the back, too high in the collar. On me, it fit just perfectly. The collar was perfect, length perfect, button band almost perfect but nothing to complain about and it looked like it was made just for me.


The differences between my dad and I - he's about 6'4 and I'm 5'11ish, he's built like a rectangular and I'm zouftic and he's missing a few attributes that I have due to my gender.

Mystery or not, I have a new handmade sweater added to my pile of sweaters that I can't wait to wear next fall.


Some pictures (although I regret not having any of my dad miswearing the sweater) taken via a mirror and my cell phone (my mom was too sick at the time to help take pictures):











0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home