It Is What It Is

Knitting, Bulldogs, Friends, Family, Cats and Life

Sunday, December 23, 2007

A review of 2007 New Year’s Resolutions and my list for 2008

Looking back on my 2007 New Year’s Resolutions I grade myself a B+ as there are items I’m so very proud of myself for accomplishing and others I need to continue working on this year.

Last year’s resolutions with feedback (in Italics):

Health Resolutions:

1) Limit caffeine (I would aim for eliminating but I know me and know it’s just not going to happen) – I’ve minimized my intake of caffeine very recently as I eliminated coffee from my daily diet. This is a huge feat for me but it’s only been a few days and my 2008 resolution is to eliminate ice tea and caffeine altogether. In addition to eliminating caffeine, I am adding a resolution of drinking more water – a lot more water.
2) Get more sleep – exceeded expectations post August 2007
3) Visit the appropriate doctors I have ignored for the past many years – I’m one doctor appointment short of accomplishing this goal and it’s more because I’m looking to find a doctor who I can have for many years (pregnancies) and I’ve actually been researching a nurse midwife / ob gyn in Des Moines who I could be with for years versus a quick check up.
4) Lose weight – this is a recent goal I’ve just restarted working on and have a plan in place for success – more results to come in 2008.
5) Exercise – starting slowly and hopefully building up to the 5K Run for the Cure that I shook on with the Knit Wits. I don’t aim to walk, my goal is to run all of it. Even in my prime, I could never run long distances so this is a “reach” goal. I’ve been working out with a personal trainer for the past 3 weeks and not only am I losing weight, my back is phenomenally better, my endurance is growing and I feel energetic and focused. Thanks to my dad for a great wedding gift, I’m working out 3-4 times a week and even though I whine about the torture the results speak volumes. Working out has helped my back more than taking alieve, advil or seeing a chiropractor. The key is the personal trainer (Jeff) – he knows the right exercises to strengthen my back. Jeff will help me get in shape for my wedding, prepare for the 5K I will actually run next year and help me transform my body into good shape. This is a very late success but probably one of my exciting/rewarding resolutions of the year.
6) Use my Y membership – I cancelled my Y membership in August from more than 18 months of nonuse and joined the Aspen Club in the last month. The key is not the club, the key is motivation plus the personal trainer. The personal trainer is worth every penny. My back doesn’t hurt anymore, it’s absolutely shocking.

Financial Resolutions:

1) Create a Budget – done
2) Stick to the Budget – sort of done – I’m happy with my spending habits this year
3) Limit expenses where feasible – primarily Starbucks and yarn – done
4) Meet with a financial planner – I not only met with a financial planner, I dated, fell in love and am engaged to him – best resolution I made last year5) Re-evaluate savings / investing plan – done - completely reshuffled per Alex’s recommendations

Professional Resolutions:

1) Work smarter not harder – done post August 2007
2) Delegate and push back - done
3) Limit the amount of 20+ hour days (correlates to health resolution #2) - done
4) Continue to learn from those around – a continuing process
5) Challenge myself more - a continuing process

Knitting Resolutions:

1) Knit a project requiring a zipper – not done but I helped Karen with one, does that count?
2) Complete one crochet project – not done
3) Complete one intarsia project – I ripped out the one project I started
4) Complete one entrelac pattern (incorporate knitting backwards) – not started
5) Knit from my stash, knit from my stash, knit from my stash. – done and many ufo’s finished this year with many more to go
6) Challenge myself somehow – aran sweater, free form, my own design – something – no time

Other Resolutions:

1) Continue piano lessons – in process but I still suck
2) Try dance lessons – Alex is an amazing dancer who took lessons every week for three years – he’s going to teach me how to dance prior to the wedding
3) Be more honest with people – done, boy did Elvis and I have a heart to heart last year.
4) Say no more often - done
5) Dress better – I think I failed miserably here but will work on this is 2008.
6) Spend more time with my family - done
7) Take all 5 weeks of vacation time – YES and it was great – Italy, Spain, home, etc…
8) Avoid drama – I eliminated one person from my life and all the drama just disappeared...WOO HOO!!!
9) Balance out professional and personal life – YES but I think it’s due to falling in love
10) Try something new – does planning a wedding count???
11) Don’t take on other people’s problems – just work on mine - YES
12) Learn to cook – or better yet – learn how not to burn food – working on it slowly, I’m a good baker but we all have to start somewhere

New Resolutions for 2008

In coordination with rolling over many 2007 resolutions, here’s a list of the new 2008 resolutions:

1)Eat healthier
2)Balance quality time between Alex, friends and family
3)Improve my domesticity (laundry, dishes, cooking, cleaning, etc)
4)Maintain a high level of patience, especially through wedding planning activities
5)Don’t let work stress me out
6)Be happy
7)Keep the drama out
8)Take time to myself (knit, workout, read, etc)
9)Enjoy the planning process of getting married

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home