It Is What It Is

Knitting, Bulldogs, Friends, Family, Cats and Life

Monday, December 10, 2007

Parental Lunch

Alex and I introduced our parents yesterday at a parental lunch.

Wait, I’ll rephrase that.

If we had been on time we would have beat both our parents to the restaurant so that they wouldn’t have had to introduce themselves to one another (they figured it out pretty fast without us).

Wait, let me rephrase that one more time.

If I hadn’t been running late, we would have been on time to properly introduce our parents.

I have a valid reason for running late – I could barely move. As a wedding gift from my dad, I started working out with a trainer on Saturday and had a second session on Sunday right before parental lunch. My back feels great and I’m working very hard to make it stronger. It’s everything else that hurts just horribly - my unused, lazy muscles are crying in protest.

I’m looking forward to enjoying working out – I’m currently not there just yet and it’s going to take a while to get motivated. The wedding is not the end goal for working out – I’m looking at the bigger picture of losing weight, strengthening my back and some of my old clothes fitting again. Exercise will be my stress outlet and a way to spend some much needed time to myself.

If I lose a pound a half a week every week between now and the wedding, I’ll be at the weight I was when I moved back to Des Moines almost 6.5 years ago.

Back to parental lunch – good food, good conversations and great beginnings. Alex’s mom and my parents really hit it off. There was a lot of wedding discussions and I still choked when my mom brought up wedding dress shopping. I still don’t understand the thrill of the wedding dress shopping; I’m dreading it. To me, it’s like being publicly weighed. I hate being on display. I need to find a non-fufu, non-super girly wedding dress that will go nicely with Birkenstocks and that goes well with my plus size figure. I found silver Birkenstocks that have little diamonds in them – I thought they would make great wedding shoes.

The wedding will be on a Royal Caribbean Cruise next August/September named Freedom of the Seas. The ports of call are Miami, Jamaica, Haiti, Grand Caymans and Cozymel, Mexico. We’ll be sending out packets of information to everyone shortly (as well as email to get everyone’s home address).

One last funny note worth mentioning – Alex and I watched a charity concert last night that occurred in England and one of the singers was wearing a gold sequined suit. I said how amazing that would be to have as the groom’s tux – Alex shut his eyes, took a deep breath, looked down and said “it’s your wedding day, I’ll wear whatever you want me to wear”. He’s such a trooper. I wouldn’t do that to him on our wedding day – I’d probably wait until we renew our vows on our 10 year anniversary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home