It Is What It Is

Knitting, Bulldogs, Friends, Family, Cats and Life

Monday, April 23, 2007

Worse than a high school reunion

I'm at a software user conference, presenting two sessions tomorrow. I have been a consultant for 11 years now.

11 years worth of former clients, former peers, former bosses, former and present rivals/enemies are all with me at this conference.

What goes around comes around. Some peace offerings have been extended while clarifying rivals were extended.

Someone I worked with 5 years ago came up to me to let me know how he and his two peers at the time completely screwed me over and since then he has parted ways with them.

I've never been to a high school reunion but I'm pretty sure I know how it would feel.

One of my presentations tomorrow is in one of the largest rooms in the conference. I'm in a bit of a panic mode as the topic is by no means my expertise nor comfort level. It may be the longest hour of the week for me.

It's nice to see people from my past. Some great examples: I turn around and I see one of my favorite clients from 3 years ago and find out he's doing well but his boss (who I made a scarf for his wife) just went through a nasty divorce, I walk around a corner and practically walk into the guy who threw a chair at me a few years and my favorite - the guy whose mess I spent 6 months cleaning up in San Diego walks up arrogantly to me to ask me if I'll be able to salvage my current mess. He probably got the most inappropriate response from me of anyone today but I'll leave that one out of my blog.

Tomorrow's the big day - I just hope I don't choke. One of my peers had over 300 people attend his session today and another peer had 450.

I should also mention - I'm wearing a lovely lime green men's polo shirt every day of this conference except tomorrow when I'll wear a suit. The polo shirt just doesn't do me justice. It's long and oversized - it just isn't flattering.

I sometimes forget the small industry I exist in - this conference has been a painful reminder.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

You DID pack the Wonder Woman Power Bracelets, didn't you?

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home